Martha’s Table is committed to ensuring that every child enrolled in our education program is strong by age eight – the age at which children must make the critical transition from learning to read to reading to learn. Research shows that third grade outcomes often predict future academic achievement and career success.
Our three-part strategy focuses on:
- Quality education from birth to age eight
- Health and wellness starting even before birth
- Parents and families who are both supported and supportive
EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
Martha’s Table offers a nationally accredited early childhood education program for students 6 weeks to 3 years of age. The full-day program runs year-round at two of our locations The Commons (Southeast DC) and The Maycroft (Northwest DC). Our teachers focus on whole child development (physical, cognitive, and social-emotional development) to ensure children are on track and ready to learn in Pre-K and beyond.
Our education program has an open, non-discriminatory enrollment policy. For information about enrollment in our early childhood education program, please contact educationprograms@
Martha’s Table offers a nationally accredited out-of-school enrichment program for students at our partner school Moten Elementary. This innovative program utilizes a unique club model to help students develop in several key areas including: literacy, social-emotional development, communication, team work, problem solving, and creative thinking. During the school year, the program offers:
- Pick-up from Moten Elementary
- After-school snack and dinner
- Programming focused on STEM, arts, and nutrition education
- Full-day program during most DCPS school closings
During the summer, we run a full-time program that prepares students for the next step in their academic journey. The summer program offers:
- Full-day programming Monday – Friday (8am-6pm)
- Breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snack provided
- Weekly field trips
- Academic supports to help prevent summer learning loss and to prepare students for the next grade
Our early childhood education program is complemented by a critical family engagement component, which creates a strong home-school relationship for our students, and connects caregivers to supports they need to nurture successful families and futures. Our engagement efforts include:
- A Home Visiting Program, which provides caregivers essential support during their child’s critical early years.
- The Parenting Journey, a course that allows caregivers to reflect on how they were parented as children, and supports them to make intentional parenting decisions to ensure strong outcomes for their children.
- A partnership with Healthy Futures, which offers resources and trainings on social-emotional development.
Our program also offers education to caregivers, connecting them to a range of vital resources related to parenting, financial literacy, and adult education.
Martha’s Table’s early childhood education program is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and is licensed by the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) for the District of Columbia. Martha’s Table’s quality programming is ensured through regular inspections. Our standards for national accreditation far exceed state licensing qualifications, and OSSE recognizes our program as an exemplary “Gold Tier” program.
Martha’s Table Scholars Enrichment Program is accredited by the Council on Accreditation (COA). This accreditation is recognition of meeting high measurable standards of quality in programs serving children and youth. Martha’s Table is one of only two after-school programs in Washington, DC to hold this distinction.