and quality education so DC residents
in need can build a better future.
Donating to Outfitters
What We Accept:
- Gently used seasonal clothing* that is clean, pressed (if possible), and in excellent repair. We are especially in need of plus sizes and undergarments for men and women, men’s clothing, and new socks for men, women and children. Hats, scarves, gloves, coats and sweaters are also in great demand during cold-weather months.
NOTE: Please pre-inspect your donations to make sure there are no tears, stains, holes, broken zippers, or missing buttons. Shoes should be in good repair with no cracks, holes or mold. Jewelry should be in good working order and all stones, clasps, fasteners and other pieces should be intact.
* We accept cold-weather clothing from September through March and warm-weather clothing from April through August.
- Toiletries: We especially welcome your collected toiletry samples from hotel stays.
- Clean and fully functioning kitchenware, including pots, pans, dishes, glassware, utensils and small electric appliances.
- Children's books: We offer these in a free library section in our shops.
- Children’s school uniforms.
- NEW car seats, strollers, toys and portable swings.
- Bed and table linens, picture frames, working lamps with shades, non-CRT computers, flat screen monitors and televisions and small electronics.
- Small furniture items such as bedside tables or coffee tables that are in good condition with no water damage or severe cosmetic or structural damage.
NOTE: Please understand that our volunteers and staff take care to ensure that all of our items are of quality and sale-ready for our customers. We must discard unsaleable items, a time-consuming process, and pay for hauling services.
What We Cannot Accept:
- Mattresses and box springs.
- Non-flat screen televisions or computer monitors (anything with a big back or older than five years) and CRT screens (because they contain toxic materials).
- Large furniture or disassembled pressed-wood items.
- Used or expired car seats and bases, used children’s strollers and portable swings.
- Plastic or wire hangers.
How to Donate:
- Please neatly fold your clothing donations into boxes or sturdy shopping bags. We ask that you not use garbage bags when donating to our stores (doing so carries its own message).
- Housewares should be shelf-ready and safely packed in boxes or shopping bags.
- Please bring all donations to a Martha’s Outfitters during donation hours.
We can always use sturdy, large paper and plastic shopping bags and clean bubble wrap (no packing peanuts needed), so please bring them along!