and quality education so DC residents
in need can build a better future.
Our Referral Program
Martha's Outfitters offers a clothing and housewares distribution program free of charge to clients referred to us by agency partners throughout the Washington, D.C. area.
The program enables partner agencies to send individuals to Martha’s Outfitters for:
- Casual and work clothing
- Children’s clothing, books and toys
- Interview attire
- Small items of furniture
2114 14th Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20009
2204 Martin Luther King Ave. SE
Washington, D.C. 20020
Hours for Referral Appointments
We accept referrals on Wednesdays and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Please ask your clients to arrive no later than 11:45 a.m. to ensure that we have time to assist them.
Instructions for Referrals
- We assist customers with referral forms on Wednesdays and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and ask that they arrive by 11:45 a.m. Please emphasize the referral hours on the forms.
- Insert your organization’s official logo at the top of the referral form where indicated, so we have an authentic referral form.
- Complete a referral form for each visit and for every adult you refer to our thrift stores. Children under 18 may be added to a parent’s referral in the section for children’s names and ages.
- Print out each completed referral form and sign it. Each form must have an agency representative’s original signature. Forms with photocopied signatures will not be accepted.
- Each adult referred to us must bring identification with them along with the completed and signed referral form each time they visit.
- Be clear and specific about the non-clothing items you request for your clients. During each visit, an individual may obtain two clothing tops, one or two clothing bottoms, shoes and undergarments, based on availability. However, special items such as housewares, linens, towels, and suits must be specifically requested on the form. We have limited supplies of these items, so please be thoughtful when requesting these referrals.
- Due to inventory constraints, every referral may obtain free clothing once every two months. However, each referral is welcome to shop at Martha’s Outfitters any time and will find affordably-priced clothing for themselves and their children.
- Referral forms will be honored for 30 days.
- We ask that your agency refer no more than 30 individuals per month.
- If your clients need special assistance while shopping, please make appropriate arrangements. While we will be as helpful as possible, we do not have the staff to accompany customers throughout their visit.
With over 8,000 people requesting free clothing and household goods through our referral program, it is important we help those most in need. We rely on your caseworkers to evaluate your clients’ requirements and refer accordingly.
Partner Referral Agencies
We work with more than 300 partner agencies in our referral program.
List of Agencies
- Anchor Mental Health
- Bread for the City
- Calvary Women's Shelter
- Capital Community Services Agency
- Carl Vogel Center
- Catholic Charities
- Central Union Mission
- Change, Inc.
- Charlie's Place
- Coalition for the Homeless
- Columbia Heights/Shaw Family Support Collaborative
- Community Connections
- Community Council for The Homeless
- Community Council for the Homeless at Friendship Place
- Community Family Life Services
- Community for Creative Non-Violence
- Community of Hope
- Community Partnership For the Prevention of Homelessness
- DC Child and Family Services
- Department of Human Services (DC government)
- Department of Veteran's Affairs
- Edgewood/Brookland Family Support Collaborative
- Federal City Recovery Services
- First Helping
- Foundry Methodist Church
- George Washington University Hospital
- Georgia Ave/Rock Creek East Family Support Collaborative
- Government of District of Columbia, Department of Health
- Green Door
- Harriet Tubman Women's Center
- Helping People Grow
- Hermano Pedro
- Hillcrest Children’s Center
- Jubilee Jobs
- La Clinica del Pueblo
- Lift DC
- Mary's Center For Maternal And Child Care, Inc.
- Metropolitan Educational Solutions, LLC
- Miriam's House
- Miriam's Kitchen
- My Sister's Place, Inc.
- N Street Village, Inc.
- Neighbors' Consejo
- Our Place, DC
- Pathways to Housing
- Playtime Project
- Providence Hospital
- Rachael's Women's Center
- Rachel's Street Outreach
- Rosemount Center
- Samaritan Ministry
- Sasha Bruce Youthwork, Inc.
- Shiloh-Baptist Church of Washington
- SOME-So Others Might Eat
- The Father McKenna Center
- Third Street Church of God
- Thrive DC
- Transgender Health Empowerment, Inc.
- Unity Health Care
- Veteran's Health Administration
- Washington Hospital Center
- WEAVE-Women Empowered Against Violence
- Whitman Walker Clinic
- Women Empowered Against Violence
- Women's Collective